Asian Pork Quesadillas
Makes: 4 servings Start to Finish: 30 mins Carb Grams Per Serving: 22
- 8 ounces pork tenderloin, cut into thin bite-size strips
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 2-3 teaspoons olive oil or canola oil
- ½ of a medium red onion, cut into thin wedges
- 3 cups shredded Napa cabbage
- 4 7-8 inch whole grain tortillas
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 recipe Peanut Sauce
- Shredded Napa cabbage (optional)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. In a medium bowl, combine pork, pepper, and ginger. Toss gently to coat pork.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 teaspoons of the oil over medium-high heat. Add pork; stir-fry about 3 minutes or until pork is cooked through. Remove pork from skillet; keep warm.
- Add onion to skillet, adding the remaining 1 teaspoon oil if needed. Stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add the 3 cups cabbage; stir-fry about 2 minutes more or just until onion is tender and cabbage starts to wilt. Stir pork into cabbage mixture in skillet.
- To assemble, coat one side of each tortilla lightly with nonstick spray. Place tortillas, coated sides down, on a work surface. Using a slotted spoon, spoon pork mixture to one side of each tortilla. Drizzle with Peanut Sauce. Fold tortilla over filling.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium heat for 1 minute. Add two of the quesadillas to hot skillet; cook for 4 to 6 minutes or until browned, turning once. Remove quesadillas from skillet; place on a baking sheet. Keep warm in the oven. Repeat with the remaining quesadillas. If desired, serve quesadillas on additional shredded cabbage.
Peanut Sauce Ingredients
- 3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon bottled minced garlic or 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- In a small saucepan, stir together creamy peanut butter, water, soy sauce, garlic, and ginger. Heat over very low heat until melted and smooth, whisking constantly.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving 303 cal., 13 g total fat (3 g sat. fat), 37 mg chol., 543 mg sodium, 22 g carb. (12 g fiber, 4 g sugars), 24 g pro. Diabetic Exchanges Vegetables (d.e): 1; Medium-Fat Meat (d.e): 2.5; Starch (d.e): 1
Source (n.d.) Diabetic Living. Asian Pork Quesadillas. Retrieved from http://www.diabeticlivingonline.com/recipe/pork/asian-pork-quesadillas