Crab Cakes with Spring Green Salad
Makes: 6 servings Prep: 40 mins Chill: 30 mins Bake: 8 mins per batch Serving Size: 1 crab cake and 1 ½ cups salad Carb Grams Per Serving: 8
Ingredients 1 egg white 3 tablespoons light mayonnaise dressing 1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard Few drops bottled hot pepper sauce 3 tablespoons finely chopped red or green sweet pepper 2 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley 1 tablespoon sliced green onion 2 teaspoons snipped fresh dill or cilantro or ½ teaspoon dried dill 1 pound cooked fresh lump crabmeat or three 6 to 6 ½ ounce cans lump crabmeat, drained, flaked, and cartilage removed 1 ¼ cups soft whole wheat or white bread crumbs 1 recipe Lime Dressing (below) 8 ounces mixed baby greens (8 cups) 1 head Belgian endive, sliced crosswise 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped Nonstick cooking spray Lime wedges (optional)
- In a large bowl, whisk together egg white, mayonnaise dressing, mustard, and hot pepper sauce. Stir in sweet pepper, parsley, green onion, and dill. Add crab and ½ cup of the bread crumbs; stir until well mixed. Using wet hands, shape mixture into six 1/2-inch-thick patties. Place in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
- Prepare Lime Dressing; set aside. In a very large bowl, combine greens, Belgian endive, and tomato. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Place remaining 3/4 cup bread crumbs in a shallow dish. Dip crab cakes in bread crumbs, turning to coat both sides. Coat an unheated large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Preheat over medium heat. Add three of the crab cakes. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown and heated through (160 degrees F), turning once halfway through cooking. Transfer to a baking sheet; keep warm in the oven. Repeat with remaining crab cakes.
- To serve, toss greens mixture with Lime Dressing; divide among six serving plates. Top with warm crab cakes. If desired, garnish with lime wedges.
Lime Dressing Ingredients 2 tablespoons olive oil 2 tablespoons lime juice 1 clove garlic, minced 1/8 teaspoon salt 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil; lime juice; garlic; salt; and pepper.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving 181 cal., 9 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 78 mg chol., 426 mg sodium, 8 g carb. (1 g fiber), 18 g pro. Diabetic Exchanges Fat (d.e): 1.5; Lean Meat (d.e): 2; Vegetables (d.e): 1.5;
Source (n.d.) Diabetic Living. Crab Cakes with Spring Green Salad. Retrieved from http://www.diabeticlivingonline.com/recipe/seafood/crab-cakes-with-spring-green-salad